This framework allow developers to quickly code and test out ideas in a very standard manner, which provides an arena for testing artificial intelligence concepts and your Java programming skills. Consider either when the developer feels that his robot achieved a good stage (i.e. able to win lots of battle against other robots), he or she can submit the robot code to compete in on-line competitions!
What's PyDroids ?
PyDroids is the port of the classic "Robocode" Java Game, ported to the Python Language. The developers and students can create their own 2D virtual androids ("droids") with Python Scripts and make then combat in a full 2D arena. This will be a open-source project hosted at the Google Code Repository .
The question that you maybe be asking is why create a clone for Robocode, specially based on Python platform?
- We need a powerful programming language that it's easy to learn, specially for the beginners or not familiar with programming and would like to play with PyDroids.
- Python is an open-source object-oriented programming language that it's easy to learn and very powerful and offers a higher productivity at comparison with other languages like C, ++, Java, C#, etc.
- Python's elegant syntax and dynamic typing, together with its interpreted nature, make it an ideal language for scripting and rapid application development in many areas on most platforms.
- It runs at Windows, Mac OS, Linux.
- We need a easy and complete platform for our PyDroids framework to extend, debug and port necessary for releases of the PyDroids Simulator Arena.
- The Python interpreter and the extensive standard library are freely available in source or binary form for all major platforms. It has support for third-parties APIs for drawing and game components and can be easily ported to other platforms thar support Python like smartphones, tablets, etc.
- A platform that has docummentation creation support, used by millions of people around the world, extremely easy to learn, powerful and easy to read and code.
- Python has all of those flavours and much more! And of course, in my personal experience, i love python code programming and its style.
So, after all those considerations and because i'd like to see robocode ported to Python platform, i took the initiative to start this project from the scratch.
My plan is to release a candidate test version 0.1 as soon as possible. Besides the Project home-page, this blog will be a news feed about my experiences programming PyDroids and any announcements of new releases for it.
Any help, support or sugestion, please feel free to post comments or send me an e-mail . It can be found at my profile in the right side bar of this blog.
My next post will be about the PyDroids system engine and its architecture (Rules, dynamics, etc.).
See you next time!